About Us

 
 

The Staff

Genealogists with Over 60 Years Combined Experience

Publisher & Managing Editor

Steven M. Osifchin


Editor

Joy E. Kovalycsik


Technical Support

Divan Zedwet

 

   

 

What's New

 
 

Our Faith

Greek Catholic Church in Slovakia - Archeparchy of Presov

Bishop Gregory Tarkovič

Bishop Joseph Gaganec

 

Saint John’s Greek Catholic Cathedral, Presov

 

Byzantine Catholic Epharchy of Parma, Ohio -

Apostolic Administrator/Bishop Milan Lach

 

St. Michael the Archangel Byzantine Catholic Cathedral

Past & Present -

A Beloved Centuries Old Tradition

Stations of the Cross

 

Pioneer Greek Catholic Priestly Families-

Reverend Father Emil A. Kubek

 

Saint Mary’s Holy Protection of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Church

Morgantown, Monongalia County, West Virginia

 

Byzantine (Greek) Catholic Societies

 

The Slovak Republic -

Blessed Titus Zeman, S.D.B.

Prešov

 

Carpatho-Rusyn Heritage

The Slovak Catholic Church

 

Prominent Carpatho-Rusyns

Bishop Gregory Tarkovič

Bishop Joseph Gaganec

 

 

   

 

Updates

 
 
   

 

Bajerovce

 
 

Village History

Courtesy of F. William Lucak, Jr.

 

Common Surnames Found in the Village

Courtesy of F. William Lucak, Jr.

 

Village Photos

Courtesy of F. William Lucak, Jr. & The Greek Catholic Archbishop of Presov

 

 

 

 

Village History

The village of Bajerovce resides in northeastern Slovakia in the valley of the Lubotin River among the Levoca Mountains at an elevation of 665 meters (2,182 feet). Bajerovce can be found between the villages of Sambron and Krasna Luka in the Presov region (old county of Saris).

 

The earliest mention of Beyeruagasa dates back to 1366, although it is believed to have existed prior to this date. Part of the estate belonging to Torysa was bequeathed to the Soltys family which was settled around 1350. Then between the 14th and the 16th century two families, the Brezovice and the Plavec, ruled the village. From what I have gathered one of the dividing boundries was based upon the stream that flows through the middle of the village.

 

In 1570 a report by Batko Ivan shows the existance of an established parish of Rusyn speaking citizens. It was mostly comprised of farming families and serfs. The village of Bajerrowcze comprised of 463 inhabitants living in 68 homes by 1787.

 

In 1935 Bajerovce saw a visit from Theodore Andrica of the Cleveland Press. In his published article, he portrays the friendly nature of its citizens. Included in this article was a photo of a typical street scene where one can catch a glimse of Bajerovce in its earlier days. Around 1954 the village faced an event that would reshape this picturesque scene when a fire destroyed 80 of its homes.

 

Over Bajerovce's long history the village has seen many variations of its name. The Hungarian name Bayorwagasa/Beyeruagasa was used from the 14th through the 16th century. The German name Beyerhaw was used in the 15th century. Other translations show up in writings for the 16th century that includes Bayrocz, Baiorocz, and Bayor and in 1786 Bajerrowcze is used. In 1920 with the creation of Czechoslovakia the village name was standardized on Bajerovce.

 

Common Surnames Found in the Village

 

Cziganko, Fedor, Gladis, Halyzsak, Jarina, Kaplyavka, Kascsak, Kordijak, Kormos, Kundrat, Kundraczik, Luczak, Lyas (Las), Maczko, Medzenyak, Najmik, Palguth, Pjecha, Pulicza, Szekerak, Tomko, Vasiga

 

Village Photos

 

Roadside Chapel of St. Jozafat Built in 1905

Photo Provided by, The Greek Catholic Archbishop of Presov

bajervovce6

 

St. Michael the Archangel Greek Catholic Church, built in 1880

Photo Provided by, The Greek Catholic Archbishop of Presov

bajerovce

 

Iconostasis

Photo Provided by, The Greek Catholic Archbishop of Presov

bajervovce4

 

Choir Loft

Photo Provided by, The Greek Catholic Archbishop of Presov

bajervovce5

 

Statue of the Virgin Mary

Photo Provided by, The Greek Catholic Archbishop of Presov

bajervovce8

 

Bajerovce, 1946

Courtesy of F. William Lucak, Jr.

bajervovce7

 

A House Under Construction After The Circa 1954 Fire

Courtesy of F. William Lucak, Jr.

bajervovce3

 

The Home Upon Completion

Courtesy of F. William Lucak, Jr.

bajervoce1

 

Road To Town, 1998

Courtesy of F. William Lucak, Jr.

bajervocve2