About Us

 
 

The Staff

Genealogists with Over 60 Years Combined Experience

Publisher & Managing Editor

Steven M. Osifchin


Editor

Joy E. Kovalycsik


Technical Support

Divan Zedwet

 

   

 

What's New

 
 

Our Faith

Greek Catholic Church in Slovakia - Archeparchy of Presov

Bishop Gregory Tarkovič

 

Saint John’s Greek Catholic Cathedral, Presov

 

Byzantine Catholic Epharchy of Parma, Ohio -

Apostolic Administrator/Bishop Milan Lach

 

St. Michael the Archangel Byzantine Catholic Cathedral

Past & Present -

A Beloved Centuries Old Tradition

Stations of the Cross

 

Pioneer Greek Catholic Priestly Families-

Reverend Father Emil A. Kubek

 

Saint Mary’s Holy Protection of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Church

Morgantown, Monongalia County, West Virginia

 

Byzantine (Greek) Catholic Societies

 

The Slovak Republic -

Blessed Titus Zeman, S.D.B.

 

Carpatho-Rusyn Heritage

The Slovak Catholic Church

 

 

   

 

Updates

 
 
   

 

Šambron

 
 

 

 

Village History

 

Eternal Memory - Vechnaya Pamyat

 

Rusyn song from Sambron

Sung by John Manko-Vachtár and Milan Ščigulinský

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Village History

 

Names of the Village

 

1411 Fekethekuth, 1470 Swarczbron, 1773 Sambron, 1786 Schambron, 1920, Sanbron, 1927, Sambron; mad Feketekut; nem. Schonbrunn; sambronsky; Sanbroncan,-ka.

 

Districts

 

Saris County, District Stara Lubovna, Presov Region in 1960, Presov, from 1950 to 1968 Stara Lubovna, Eastern Region.

 

Population Figures

 

1869-1062, 1880-1018, 1890-1048, 1900-1065, 1910-846, 1921-760, 1930-744, 1940-821, 1948-374, 1961-561, 1970-670.

 

Size of Village and Specifics

 

The village is 3,185 acres large and the center of the village is 672 meters high.  The village lies in the northern part of the Levoca Mountains (Jakubianskej) and is near a valley stream, Sambronka. The area is rugged with mild ground which is mostly brown soil, consists of rocks and the Sambronsky rock foundation layer.  There is a spring called the Sirouhlikovy Smerdacky spring. The area is protected and adheres to the prevention of deforestation.   Various parts of the smaller areas that surround the village are a mixed forest of spruce-dominated trees.  The village is near Jakubany.  The village was founded after 1366 and is mentioned in 1411.  The village belonged to the Lords of Brezovica.  In 1427 there were 16 houses; in 1787 there were 60 houses and 485 inhabitants.  In 1828 there were 119 houses and 878 inhabitants.  The villagers worked in agriculture and the manufacture; they also traded grains and held livestock.  Trades included tanning and furriers.  In 1945 the passing army burned the village down after the liberation of the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic.  Today, villagers work on the POD farm and also are employed in Nova Lubovna, Kosice, Poprad and in Prague.

 

Religion

 

The Greek Catholic Church was built in 1872 and is named the Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary Greek Catholic Church.  Priests who served here in the early days are 1800, Jakub Bucov, 1800-1803, Jan Repassy, 1803-1804, Juraj Mankovic, 1804-1820, Peter ll’kovic, 1820-1821, Peter Barvirovic, 1821-1847, Jan Janovic, 1851-1890, Stefan Schirilla, 1890-1924, Kornel Mankovic. 

 

 

Rusyn song from Sambron

Sung by John Manko-Vachtár and Milan Ščigulinský