The village of Vislanka is situated on the hill of Levočské vrchy, in the valley of Valalská near a stream. The first written document in regard to the village comes from 1595 when Michael Zeman wrote to Gaspar Farkas Skarosa in regard to the inhabitants of Vislanka. The settlement seemed to be firmly established in the last half of the 16th century. During this period the taxation practices were implemented upon the residents. Vislanka grew very rapidly and it belonged during this period to Dezofiovcom and Farkasovcom Berzeviciovcom. The original settlement consisted of 13 homes. The residents were mainly tenant farmers who belonged to the local nobility. In 1789 the village expanded to 30 homes and in 1828, 55 homes were listed. The original inhabitants of Vislanka were farmers by trade with a major focus on tending cattle and animal husbandry.
The area surrounding the village is very beautiful and consists of brown soil, trees and shrubs of various types. After the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the village changed quite drastically. Many left to seek employment in other regions and others left for America. During the Second World War things were difficult in this region. The village was finally liberated on January 22, 1945. After the liberation, telephone lines and water lines were installed in the village. Later, during 1960 street lighting and paved roads were added. A community center was constructed in 1973 and a sports stadium was added in 1985. The village manages a primary school and a kindergarten. Civil and technical service is very adequate. On the sport grounds many football matches are held especially during the summer months. In 2007, a go-cart racing contest took place at the stadium. A tranquil place, the village of Vislanka is also known for a very popular sulphuric spring. Many individuals from the region travel to obtain this water for medical purposes. Presently, the village of Vislanka has a total population of approximately 300 residents with 264 being members of the village Greek Catholic church. Today, Vislanka is situated within the Stara Lubovna district in the Presov region of Eastern Slovakia.
Over time there have been varying names for the Vislanka
Puszta-Mezo, Wizranka, Pusztameso, Pusztamezo, Wyrranka, Puste Pole, Vyslanka.
The village is 1,788 feet above sea level and is 850 acres.
Greek Catholic Church
The dominant structure in the village is Saints Kosma and Damian Greek Catholic Church. The church was built in 1825 and holds an exquisite baroque iconostas. Unfortunately, the name of the artist of this beautiful masterpiece has been lost in time. Not long after the church was completed a cemetery was begun. Also, at this time a chapel was constructed. There are two different Greek Catholic chapels in Vislanka, one dedicated to Saint Anna and another to the Mother of God.
Various priests who served the Vislanka Church of SS Kosma and Damien
1769, Peter Quidam, 1889 to 1908, Michael Michalic, 1908 to 1930, Michal Molcani, 1930 to 1950 Alexej Cabinak, 1969 to 1971, Vasil Dacej, 1972 to 1981 Michael Stanko, 1982 to 1990 Teodor Hanat, 1990 to 1991, Jozef Duda, 1991 to 1999, Michael Kuruc, 2000 to 2003 Marek Smetanka, 2003 to 2003, Stanislav Dihenescik, 2004 to 2004, Martin Chudik, 2004 to 2007 Jozef Urvinitka, 2007 to 2009, Frantisek Sochovic.
Surnames found in vital records for Vislanka
Andrijov, Badanitz, Csisar, Demko, Fabian, Galustsak, Gulyas, Hartsarik, Hnath, Jahoda, Kalafut, Karaffa, Knapik, Knapik, Knapp, Koptzik, Kordiak, Kormos, Kraly, Kuczma, Kupetz, Kurutz, Lesko, Lichvartsik, Marintzin, Mikulik, Murin, Novotny, Orintsak, Palustsak, Pestey, Prihoda, Puzak, Schulek, Soltys, Sozulya, Szkladany, Vapnyar, Varga, Varmega, Vavrek, Vrabely.