About Us

 
 

The Staff

Genealogists with Over 60 Years Combined Experience

Publisher & Managing Editor

Steven M. Osifchin


Editor

Joy E. Kovalycsik


Technical Support

Divan Zedwet

 

   

 

What's New

 
 

 

Carpatho-Rusyn Villages

Obručné

 

Our Faith

St. Michael's Hungarian Byzantine Catholic Church

Perth Amboy, NJ

Holy Spirit Byzantine Catholic Church

Pittsburgh, PA

Greek Catholic Church in Slovakia - Archeparchy of Presov

Bishop Gregory Tarkovič

Bishop Joseph Gaganec

 

Saint John’s Greek Catholic Cathedral, Presov

 

Byzantine Catholic Epharchy of Parma, Ohio -

Apostolic Administrator/Bishop Milan Lach

 

St. Michael the Archangel Byzantine Catholic Cathedral

Past & Present -

A Beloved Centuries Old Tradition

Stations of the Cross

 

Pioneer Greek Catholic Priestly Families-

Reverend Father Emil A. Kubek

 

St. John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic Church

Houston, Texas

 

Saint Mary’s Holy Protection of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Church

Morgantown, Monongalia County, West Virginia

Byzantine (Greek) Catholic Societies

 

 

The Slovak Republic -

Blessed Titus Zeman, S.D.B.

Plaveč

Prešov

 

Carpatho-Rusyn Heritage

The Slovak Catholic Church

 

Prominent Carpatho-Rusyns

Michael George Stroka

Bishop Gregory Tarkovič

Bishop Joseph Gaganec

 

 

   

 

Updates

 
 
   

 

Obručné

 
 

 

 

Village History

 

Village Photos

 

Eternal Memory - Vechnaya Pamyat

 

 

 

 

 

 

Village History

 

Obručné is a village with the smallest population of the Stará Ľubovňa district.


It is also the easternmost village in the district, located 33 kilometers from the district town. The village is situated at the foot of the slopes of the north side of Čergov at an altitude of 655 meters.


Although the area around the Obručné (Abruchina) brook was mentioned as early as 1312, the village itself did not exist there until the 16th century.


The village was founded around this stream in the early 17th century.


It was first mentioned in the urbarium of 1636 as a new settlement Obruczno.


In 1787 there were 14 houses, in 1828 there were 32 houses. The inhabitants made their living from agriculture.


St. Demeter Greek Catholic Church was built in 1892 in the neoclassical style. The iconostasis created by the woodcarver D. Ozoróczy of Kurima is from the year 1925. Roman Catholic villagers attend services in Ľubotín.


In present day due to difficult living conditions, remoteness and lack of job opportunities, the population in the village is constantly decreasing. The population is largely seniors. The village has a grocery store and a library.

 

 

Village Photos

 

Credit - Adam Hnat

The following photos provided by, The Greek Catholic Archbishop of Presov

 

St. Demeter Greek Catholic Church

img

 

Church Iconostasis

 

Village Women in Native Dress, Circa 1940-1950

Credit - Google Images and Rusínska duša-duša Karpát

 

Identified by Michal Stašenko as his Aunt Helena Macejová nee Sovičová