About Us

 
 

The Staff

Genealogists with Over 60 Years Combined Experience

Publisher & Managing Editor

Steven M. Osifchin


Editor

Joy E. Kovalycsik


Technical Support

Divan Zedwet

 

   

 

What's New

 
 

Our Faith

Greek Catholic Church in Slovakia - Archeparchy of Presov

Bishop Gregory Tarkovič

 

Saint John’s Greek Catholic Cathedral, Presov

 

Byzantine Catholic Epharchy of Parma, Ohio -

Apostolic Administrator/Bishop Milan Lach

 

St. Michael the Archangel Byzantine Catholic Cathedral

Past & Present -

A Beloved Centuries Old Tradition

Stations of the Cross

 

Pioneer Greek Catholic Priestly Families-

Reverend Father Emil A. Kubek

 

Saint Mary’s Holy Protection of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Church

Morgantown, Monongalia County, West Virginia

 

Byzantine (Greek) Catholic Societies

 

The Slovak Republic -

Blessed Titus Zeman, S.D.B.

 

Carpatho-Rusyn Heritage

The Slovak Catholic Church

 

 

   

 

Updates

 
 
   

 

Roztoky

 
 

Village History

 

Village Photos

Courtesy of Elaine Latzman Moon & Roztoky.sk

 

Eternal Memory - Vechnaya Pamyat

 

Surnames Found in the Parish Records

Transcribed by Steven M. Osifchin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Village History

 

Over time there have been varying names for the village:

 

1435 Roztoka, 1808 Rostoky, 1920 Rastoka, 1927 Roztoky; Hungarian: Rosztoka, Vegrosztoka; roztocky, Roztocan,-ka.

 

County and Region:

 

Saris County; district Svidnik, region Presov to 1960; district Bardejov, and from 1968 district Svidnik, Eastern Slovakia Region.

 

The names of the parts of surrounding areas:

 

Kuchtovce, Pustatina.

 

Population in years:

 

1869-342, 1880-437, 1890-398, 1900-443, 1910-414, 1921-421, 1930-489, 1940-528, 1948-246, 1961-312, 1970-391.

 

Village Size:

 

1124 HA is the size of the village. HA is short for Hektar. 1 Hektar is 2.471 acres

 

Background:

 

The center of the village is 374 meters above the sea level. Surrounding area is between 350-600 meters above the sea level. ROZTOKY is situated in the northern part of Lower Beskydy mountains in the valley of the creek flowing to Ondava river close to the border with Poland. The area is slightly uneven. Abundance of forests with beech, oak and spruce.

 

The village was named in 1435 but incorporated in 1573-1598. It belonged to the landlords of Makovica.

 

At the beginning of 18th century the inhabitants cultivated grains: oats, buckwheat and barley. They also breed animals. In 1787 it had 54 houses and 335 inhabitants, in 1828 it had 70 houses and 522 inhabitants. In 19th century Knight Kolbassa owned properties here. From the first half of 19 century many inhabitants emmigrated to other countries, mostly to USA and Canada. In 1944 during the WWII German army evacuated everybody against his or her will. The farmers co-op was established in 1958. Inhabitants no partly work in industry, mostly in Kosice

 

There is a Greek Catholic Church from 1848 with elements of late baroque style of architecture. 

 

 

Surnames Found in the Parish Records

 

(Transcribed by Steven M. Osifchin)

 

img