Provided by, The Greek Catholic Archbishop of Presov
Varying names for the village:
1582 Misztonka (Misztowka) also known as Kecske, 1588 Keczkouice Miztoka, 1600 Kechkowecz, 1618-1683 Kcsukhocz, 1685 Keczkocz-Keskocz with a settlement Kohutocz, 1773 Keczkowce, 1850 Kecskocz, Kecskovcz, 1869-1910 Kecskocz, 1920-present day Keckovce.
County and District:
Former Saris County. Present day Presov County.
1850 Svidnik District, 1869-1874 Svidnik District, 1880-1900 Makovica District, 1910 Vysny Svidnik District, 1920-1930 Stropkov District, 1950 Svidnik District, 1961 Bardejov District, 1970-1997 Svidnik District.
The village covers an area of 4,319 acres. It is at an altitude of 1,312 feet above sea level and is located in the Mostivka creek valley which lies north of the Ondava River.
In 1880 there were 370 inhabitants and 52 homes, 1890, 422 residents and 57 homes, 1900, 449 residents and 61 homes, 1910, 441 residents and 66 homes, 1910, 441 residents and 66 homes, 1921, 414 residents and 66 homes and in 1930 there were 470 inhabitants and 65 homes. By 2005 the population decreased to 223 residents.
The village is first mentioned in historical documents which include a taxation on the residents in 1572. In 1618 there were 39 families and 3 landowning families who had three families as servants. It was noted there was a tailor in the village and those employed making wood products. The village belonged to the Makovickeho estate and governmental officials in this district were Mihali Doboczi and Marton Sarossy. The area surrounding the village was the property of the estate manor and residents had to pay taxes to the estate. During the years 1836 to 1837, 1848, 1855, 1866 and 1872 to 1873 a severe cholera epidemic affected the village. In approximately 1874 a school was begun and records offer 44 children were enrolled. By 1894 the school had 95 students and there was a Greek Catholic pre-school which had 38 students. Later, a famine affected the region surrounding the village and residents began immigrating to the United States. In 1900 the village had 449 residents. There were 403 Ruthenians, 1 Slovak, 27 Germans and 18 Hungarians. The village had 421 Greek Catholics, 1 Evangelical (Lutheran) and 27 people of the Jewish faith. It was recorded that 5 homes were built of stone and 56 homes were built of wood. There was one blacksmith and one miller in the village along with two stores. In October of 1944 there were battles during World War II in this area. The residents evacuated and stayed in villages in the surrounding region with some moving as far as Presov. The village was severely destroyed during these battles. In 1947 75 residents were relocated to Ukraine and in 1948 a collective farm was begun. In 1956 a direct bus route to surrounding areas was begun.
The Greek Catholic Church of Saint Michael the Archangel was built of wood in 1693 along with a rectory. In 1911 the church was constructed of stone. After the church was completed, it was blessed and re-dedicated by the Greek Catholic Bishop of Presov, Jan Valyi.
Greek Catholic priests who served the village of Keckovce were: 1726-1734 Michal Miha, 1726, Vasil Miha, 1746-1770, Jan Miha, 1788-1808, Peter Masnik, 1808-1821, Stefan Groffik, 1821-1848, Anton Jakovic, 1851-1888, Mikulas Dzubaj, 1888-1894, Augustin Burik, 1895-1920, Jaroslav Kapisinsky, 1921-1922, Stefan Podjajecky, 1923-1925, Jozef Gres, 1925-1930, Andrej Gres, 1930-1931, Julius Hricisak, 1931-1933, Andrej Gres, 1933-1936, Gabriel Popovic, 1936-1943, Michal Onderisin, 1946-1947, Metod Szekely, 1947-1948 Michal Majovsky C.S.S.R, 1950, Jan Chanath.
The following photos provided by, The Greek Catholic Archbishop of Presov
Greek Catholic Church of Saint Michael the Archangel
Greek Catholic Church Parish House