About Us

 
 

The Staff

Genealogists with Over 60 Years Combined Experience

Publisher & Managing Editor

Steven M. Osifchin


Editor

Joy E. Kovalycsik


Technical Support

Divan Zedwet

 

   

 

What's New

 
 

Our Faith

Greek Catholic Church in Slovakia - Archeparchy of Presov

Bishop Gregory Tarkovič

 

Saint John’s Greek Catholic Cathedral, Presov

 

Byzantine Catholic Epharchy of Parma, Ohio -

Apostolic Administrator/Bishop Milan Lach

 

St. Michael the Archangel Byzantine Catholic Cathedral

Past & Present -

A Beloved Centuries Old Tradition

Stations of the Cross

 

Pioneer Greek Catholic Priestly Families-

Reverend Father Emil A. Kubek

 

Saint Mary’s Holy Protection of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Church

Morgantown, Monongalia County, West Virginia

 

Byzantine (Greek) Catholic Societies

 

The Slovak Republic -

Blessed Titus Zeman, S.D.B.

 

Carpatho-Rusyn Heritage

The Slovak Catholic Church

 

 

   

 

Updates

 
 
   

 

Ladomirová

 
 

img

 

Village History

 

Village Photos

Provided by, The Greek Catholic Archbishop of Presov

 

Tales of Murderous Deeds and Legends from Ladomirová

Ladomírske moritáty a legendy, written and directed by Péter Kerekes in 1998

 

 

Village History

 

img

 

Varying names for the village:

 

1414 Ladamerwagasa, 1773 Ladomir, Ladomirowa, 1786 Lademer, 1808 Lademer, Ladomirowa, 1863-1902 Ladomer, 1907-1913 Ladomervagasa, 1920 Ladomirova, Ladomirovce, 1927 to Present, Ladomirova.

 

Administrative Structure:

 

Saros County; District Svidnik, Region Presov until 1960; County Bardejov District Svidnik, Region Vychodoslovensky until 1968; present day Presov District.

 

Population Statistics:

 

1869, 811, 1880, 816, 1890, 751, 1900, 749, 1910, 836, 1921, 719, 1930, 791, 1940, 879, 1948, 599, 1961, 720, 1970, 792, 2005, 858.

 

Acreage:

 

The municipality lies at an altitude of 265 meters and covers an area of 3,864 acres. Ladomirova lies in the northern part of the Low Beskid mountains in a valley named Ladomirka.  There are small streams with gravel and common trees are beech and birch.  There also was a small corn grinding mill near the stream area.

 

Background:

 

The village is first mentioned in historical documents in 1414 but there is a probability it was established earlier.  Taxation records mention records from 1427.  From the 18th to the 19th century the village was part of the Ladomirskovci estate.  A census taken in 1787 noted 102 homes and 720 inhabitants, in 1828 there were 128 homes and 946 inhabitants.  The residents were employed in many trades including breeding cattle, the construction of wooden tools and many forestry trades.  After the turn of the century there were still many homes constructed of wood with an attached thatched roof.  During World War I soldiers of the Russian Imperial Army fought in this area, set fire to the village and destroyed many homes.  In late 1915 soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian Imperial Army launched an offensive.  The Russian Imperial Army lines broke and they were forced out of the region and many were taken as prisoners of war.  After 1918, these prisoners settled in the village.  During World War II there were many battles which took place in the area and the village was practically destroyed.  On November 26, 1944 the village region was liberated.  In 1954 construction took place in the village and many homes were rebuilt. 

 

Churches:

 

Greek Catholic

 

The Greek Catholic Church of Saint Michael the Archangel was constructed in 1742.  The church was constructed with one main tower and two smaller towers.  Each tower is graced with a cupola in traditional Greek Catholic architecture.  There is a separate wooden bell tower to the right of the main entrance to the church that dates from the same period.  The interior has a hand carved wooden iconostasis and has five rows of historical icons from the 18th century.  In the rear of the church is the Greek Catholic cemetery.  This Greek Catholic church has been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2008.  In recent years, a census of the village offers there are 593 individuals who list Greek Catholic as their faith residing in the village.

 

Greek Catholic priests who served Saint Michael church in Ladomiorva were: 1726, Jan Dzurdzoskij, 1738-1746 Jan Sarakun, 1788-1801, Stefan Zacharias, 1801-1822, Juraj Michalic, 1826-1829, Jozef Salamon, 1829-1940, Andrej Kolesar, 1840-1856, Alexej Petrasovic, 1857-1870, Jan Rokicky, 1870-1907, Karol Ladomersky, 1907-1917, Jan Kacko, 1917-1921, Augustin Schudich, 1921-1923, Vojtech Schudich, 1922-1925, Jan Bajcura, 1927-1944, Dezider Schudich, 1946-1950, Alexander Schudich.

 

Wooden Greek Catholic Church in Ladomiorva  (YouTube - Offsite)

 

Orthodox

 

The Church of Saint Job at the Pochaev Monastery was constructed in 1924. Prior to this date there was no Orthodox church in the village.  This church/monastery also had a printing press that issued many publications including a newspaper “Pravoslavnaya Karpatskaya Rus.” 

 

Notable Personalities: 

 

Metropolitan Laurus Skurla

 

Vasil Skurla was born in Ladomirova in 1928. He was the son of Michael Skurla and Helena Suvak. Vasil later would become Metropolitan Laurus, the First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia headquartered in New York City.  A plaque bearing his image and memorializing his baptism by Archimandrite Vitaly Maximenko at Saint Job’s Church was dedicated and affixed to the church on September 9, 2012.

 

Village Photos

 

The following photos provided by, The Greek Catholic Archbishop of Presov

 

St. Michael the Archangel Greek Catholic Church

img

 

Iconastasis

img

 

Side Altar

img

 

Greek Catholic Church Parish House

img

 

Tales of Murderous Deeds and Legends from Ladomirová

Ladomírske moritáty a legendy, written and directed by Péter Kerekes in 1998