About Us

 
 

The Staff

Genealogists with Over 60 Years Combined Experience

Publisher & Managing Editor

Steven M. Osifchin


Editor

Joy E. Kovalycsik


Technical Support

Divan Zedwet

 

   

 

What's New

 
 

 

 

Prominent Carpatho-Rusyns

Travis Cordell Kalanick

Stephen Tidik, (1919-1999)

 

Carpatho-Rusyn Villages

Valaškovce

 

Our Faith

Greek Catholic Church in Slovakia - Archeparchy of Presov

Bishop Gregory Tarkovič

Bishop Joseph Gaganec

 

 

 

 

   

 

Updates

 
 

Prominent Carpatho-Rusyns

Travis Cordell Kalanick

Stephen Tidik, (1919-1999)

 

Carpatho-Rusyn Villages

Valaškovce

 

Our Faith

Greek Catholic Church in Slovakia - Archeparchy of Presov

Bishop Gregory Tarkovič

Bishop Joseph Gaganec

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   

 

Waniowice

 
 

 

 

 

History


Waniowice is a village formerly in the Polish Republic and today in the Sambir region, Lviv Oblast, Ukraine.  The first mention of this village was in 1269 with 31 homes. By 1880 there were 219 homes, 656 Greek Catholics and 90 Roman Catholics.  The Dniester River runs along the border of the village area.  Villages that surround Waniowice are Dabrowska in the north, Strzalkowice near the river area, Bereznica in the south and Torhanowice in the West.

Pope Gregory XIII granted title to this area on January 10, 1562 to Sigismund II Augustus, King of Poland and the first ruler of the Polish-Lithuanian Common wealth.  This grant included full ecclesiastic permission to Ruthenian Greek Catholics to worship in their own Rite.  A Greek Catholic Church dedicated to Saint Nicholas was constructed for use by Greek and Roman Catholics.  Later, the church was upgraded in 1893 and made of stone.  It is brown in color with a main gold cupola with two smaller cupolas on the front roof area.  They were placed un the King’s protection as a large amount of interference was started by Orthodox Church zealots who came to agitate for their religion.  In 1565 Andrzej Markowicz was named Mayor for the town.  He purchased n inn from a village resident named Jakub which became the main business in Waniowice.  In june of 1682 Constantine Szczerban was authorized by the King to keep barns and other store houses in the villages of Waniowice and Jaworow (present day Yavoriv.)  These buildings were maintained under royal management for many years.  A manor home was constructed in the village in 1686.  It housed its own bakery, barn for livestock and stables.  Village history denotes that Queen Bopna Sforza, the second wife of King Sigismund of Poland, visited the village. Annual rain is light in this area and farming is limited.  Various jobs held by village residents tended to be in the bakeries, Salt mining along with the villages of Mrozowice and Torczynowice, employment with the main area railroad and clearing of forests. During 1890 to 1910 numerous villagers relocated or immigrated to other countries in search of advanced opportunities.  In 1921, the village held a Jewish population of 172 all of which were deported to Sambor for liquidation during August of 1942.

Over time there have been varying names for the village:

Van'kovichi, Van'ovichi, Van'ovitse, Van'ovychi, Vanovichi, Van’kovichi, Van’ovitse, Van’ovychi and Waniowice.

Village Size:

The village rests at an altitude of 290 meters and covers an area of 1,019 km.

 

St. Nicholas Greek Catholic Church

Photo Credit - Google Earth