About Us

 
 

The Staff

Genealogists with Over 60 Years Combined Experience

Publisher & Managing Editor

Steven M. Osifchin


Editor

Joy E. Kovalycsik


Technical Support

Divan Zedwet

 

   

 

 

 

West Virginia

 
 

 

Byzantine Catholic

 

Assumption of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Church

Weirton, Hancock County, West Virginia

 

Orthodox

New Content Coming Soon

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Byzantine Catholic

 

Assumption of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Church

Weirton, Hancock County, West Virginia

GCwvachurch

 

At the turn of the century immigrants seeking work as laborers arrived in the town of Weirton.  Ernest T. Weir relocated from Pittsburgh to Weirton early in the 1900s and began the Weirton Steel Corporation.  Surrounding the steel mill were numerous homes where the expanding workforce resided.  During the height of production, approximately 13,000 people were employed at the Weirton Steel Corporation.  This corporation was the largest private employer in the state of West Virginia.  Many Greek Catholics had arrived in Weirton seeking work.  By 1920, they decided to build a church to worship in the faith of the ancestors.  Originally, Greek Catholics attended services in two towns in Ohio, Toronto and Mingo Junction.  As their numbers grew it was evident they required a church to meet their spiritual needs.  The fraternal society of Saint Nicholas was started and mass was said once a month at the Finnish Hall in North Weirton.  The first priest to serve the needs of Greek Catholics in Weirton was Father George Simchak of Avella, Pennsylvania.

 

In November of 1924 the Assumption of the Mother of God Greek Catholic church was founded.  The members worked tirelessly and were very generous with donations so a church could be constructed.  One year later, the new church was erected and blessed by the Most Reverend Basil Takach.  Father Michael Warady was installed as the first full-time pastor and within a very short time a rectory was purchased.  In 1925 the Rosary and Altar society were started.  These societies were very helpful to the church as they served the sacred and secular aspects of the parish.  The societies were and are of immense benefit as they have sponsored and assisted with parish dinners, piroghi sales, Mothers and Fathers Day breakfasts and the very popular annual parish picnic.  Also, during this time a Men’s Club was begun and is another society which is very important.  The members of Assumption of the Mother of God church continued to work hard and the church grew very quickly.  During the difficult days of the depression, many parishioners continued to give donations for the church even though their own financial situations were strained. 

 

After World War II, numerous upgrades to the church and grounds were made prior to the parish silver jubilee celebration.  Renovations to the interior included a new altar and stained glass windows.   Structural improvements included a new roof and entire indoor heating system.  The parishioners were heartbroken in 1951.  A terrible fire broke out and inflicted major damage to the church.  Services continued to be celebrated and parishioners once again worked quickly to repair their beloved house of worship.  During the early 1950’s the number of members of Assumption church expanded to over 500 members. 

GCwvachurch2

Over the course of the next few years the parish sponsored many popular events such as a Live Passion of Christ play every Palm Sunday.  Members of other Catholic churches (St. Paul and St. Joseph) in Weirton also participated to make this a very popular event with residents.  Every set for this production were hand made by Assumption’s parishioners.  It is to their credit and their pastor, Father George Billy; this important spiritual play ran for over 25 years!  For the Golden Anniversary of the parish, more improvements were implemented in 1974.  During 1989, a new iconostasis was installed along with new carpeting and other minor improvements to the interior of the church. 

 

The exterior of the church has one tower which is graced by a large cupola and a three bar cross.  One mass is held on Sunday and it is well attended by devoted parishioners.  A very important social function of the church is the coffee hour held after mass.  This social time gives parishioners a chance to meet, talk and enjoy each other’s company.  The interior of the church is painted in welcoming light brown colors and beautifully carved Stations of the Cross grace each side of the church.  In front of the altar is a beautifully painted icon of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary and is a focal point of worship.  For the past 89 years, Dormition of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic church has been a vibrant house of worship.  The church has seen a very exciting past and all parishioners and their pastor look ahead to a promising and spiritually fruitful future. 

 

 

Orthodox

 

New Content Coming Soon