About Us


The Staff

Genealogists with Over 60 Years Combined Experience

Publisher & Managing Editor

Steven M. Osifchin


Joy E. Kovalycsik

Technical Support

Divan Zedwet






Nizny Orlik



Village History


Church Photos












Village History




Over time there have been varying names for the village:


1357 Orlyuagasa Wyfalu, 1414 Orlyh, Orlyn, 1618 Also-Orlich, 1920 Nizny Orlik.


County and Region:


Formerly Saris County, present day Svidnik District.


The population has been in a steady decline over the years:


1869-324, 1880-375, 1890-338, 1900-394, 1910-369, 1921-330, 1930-354, 1940-418, 1948-283, 1961-346 and 1970-324. As of the year 2005 the village had a population of 257 inhabitants.




The village was founded in 1330 and belonged to the Makovica manor.  In 1427 the village was exempted from taxes.  Residents were employed in farming and raising cattle.  During the 19th century extensive gardens (Berkeovci) were tended.  During the 18th century mineral springs were discovered that became famous within the region.  The village had a post office and in 1787 there were 48 houses and 307 inhabitants, 1828 there were 63 houses and 476 inhabitants. During the later part of the 19th century, a high number of residents immigrated to the United States.  During World War I, there were a number of battles between the Austro-Hungarian army and the Russian Imperial Army.   The village of Nizny Orlik is located in the low Beskid Mountains in the Ondava valley.  The surrounding area slopes and is surrounded by fields.  During World War II the village was damaged during continuous fighting.  After World War II, many residents found employment in Svidnik, Stropkov, Ostrava and Kosice.




During the years 1726 to 1738 the Greek Catholic priest Father Teodor Chvostik served the faithful.  After this, the Greek Catholic faithful of Nizny Orlik did not have a resident priest. The Greek Catholic clergy of Vysnia Jedl’ova served the faithful of Nižný Orlík from this point on.  


The former Greek Catholic Church located in the center of the village was absorbed by Orthodox members.  Due to difficulties, the Greek Catholic faithful decided to build another church.   


On May 22, 2011, the Greek Catholic faithful of Nizny Orlik rejoiced when their modern new church, dedicated to Blessed Vasil Hopko, was consecrated.  Greek Catholic Metropolitan Jan Babjak of Presov was the main celebrant.  Metropolitan Babjak emphasized to the faithful they can be extremely proud of all their sacrifices and dedication. While it took many years of sacrifice and hardships, the Greek Catholic residents of Nizny Orlik never gave up on once again having a church to worship in the faith of their ancestors.



Church Photos


The following of The Greek Catholic Church of Blessed Vasil Hopko

provided by, The Greek Catholic Archbishop of Presov


Dedication Marker


Exterior of the Church


Church Dedication